Monday, July 30, 2007

i wonder when i'll finally find my dream job.

does anyone ever know what they want to be when they grow up? i think that even my dad who is in his mid-50s still doesn't know what his dream job would be. he's been in the same business for nearly 30 years now and he's phenomenal at what he does...but i don't know if he would classify it as his dream job come true. please tell me that i'm not the only one who works because of the paycheck or benefits.

i guess my job is okay, but i know i never daydreamed of being in higher education financial aid. as i'm sure most in my profession do, i stumbled upon my current position. i never set out to be where i am today, but i'm not really sure what i set out to do in the first place. i went to college, but i never said, 'ah, yes. i want to major in such-and-such so that i can become a _________.' not once.

i don't love my job and unfortunately, i have more bad days than good. perhaps it's because i've only been in this position for a few months. i have so much to learn, but i find myself not even wanting to learn it. i lack the motivation to even try and i leave the office feeling frustrated, deflated and defeated.

i rack my brain, trying to think of what i would love to do. most of the time though, my dream job would require a ton of schooling or a ton of talent, of which i have neither. i would love to be a nurse...or a dancer on broadway. i sometimes think it would be fun to be a cruise ship director...or work at a secluded resort on an island somewhere. so until then, i sit and wonder about when i'll perhaps stumble upon a job that truly grabs me by the heart and mind. perhaps it will sneak up on me from out of nowhere that strikes up the passion in me that has been missing from my professional world for some time now.

1 comment:

Wicked M said...

Ug. I think that, unfortunately, most people are working at a job that they aren't passionate about simply because it pays the bills and/or has good benefits. I know that I am certainly not working at my dream job right now.

I wish that you could become a cruise director or dance on Broadway! How cool would that be!?