Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"Dazzey Duks" Superman Style

I have so many memories of Superman from over the years that it is hard to choose just one.  I have many memories of him being so kind and generous.  I have a few that make me cry -- like the first time he ever saw Superboy.  I have many that make me smile and I have even more that make me laugh.  I just love spending time with my man.  So, for your entertainment, I have picked one that I always go to when I need a pick-me-up.  Since that is the point of this week's posts, I thought we could all use a laugh.  So, here you go.

Back when we lived in Washington, D.C., we lived in a high-rise apartment building that had a huge awning over the front doors.  It made it nice for rainy days, but it also amplified any sound that happened under it.  (That is paramount to this story, I promise.)  So, one springtime afternoon, we had been out running errands.  I cannot honestly tell you what all we did that day, but I will always remember that just as we turned into our apartment building's parking lot, a song came on the radio.

Now, you must know that Superman likes to sing in the car.  We both do.  He is usually a very restrained person and there have been several occasions on which I wish he were a little more expressive.  I am talking about dancing, being crazy with an audience, etc.  He just does not show emotion in public very well and he will rarely get out on a dance floor with me.  Our entire first dance at our wedding was him asking me how much longer it was going to last.  He did manage to whisper some sweet nothings to me during that dance too, but it was mostly him wishing it was over.

So, the song that came on the radio was "Dazzey Duks" by Duice.  Not typically a song we listen to, but it was on the radio and we turned it up loud.  It is a good one to make you feel young again, you know?  We were both singing along.  As we reached the awning at the front of our building, I turned the music down so that when I got out the entire universe would not be treated to our musical choice.  What happened next is truly one of the funniest things Superman has ever done.

As I got out of the car and shut my door, he put the passenger side window down.  He BLASTED the radio and was singing and dancing along.  It was HYSTERICAL.  I still remember freezing in place and gawking at him because I could not believe it was happening.  I was in shock.  Then, I started laughing.  Before I could even really react beyond laughing, Superman rolled up the window and sped off to park the car.

I still laugh out loud every time I remember Superman practically yelling the lyrics to the chorus of that song at me.  It was just so out of character and I loved it.  He still surprises me sometimes, that man of mine.  Gotta love a man who can jam to "Dazzey Duks" with you -- and try to embarrass you and make you laugh at the same time.

1 comment:

MSO Rin said...

I laughed out loud at this memory b/c I can picture it perfectly. Isn't that the best: when someone surprises you with an uncharacteristic outburst of extrovertedness? I'm going to ask for an encore of that serenade in June so tell Superman to find his pitch pipe!