Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Work? It sucks.

Honestly, I don't have to wonder about why work sucks. It just does. I mean, it's work, right? One of the most annoying but true statements is that they call work work for a reason and that if it were fun, they would call it fun. But they call it work because it's work. Or something like that. I don't know, I'm at work right now and my brain is on backwards.

How could work not suck? If you're like most of us, you're at someone else's beck and call, you're working for less than you probably should be, and you probably don't enjoy what you do all that much. You get told when to arrive and when you can leave. You only get so much time for lunch and you're dealing with office politics of some sort. You probably have some co-workers that annoy you to no end and you can't tell people what you are really thinking. Ever. Basically, it's a stifling environment that keeps us all from doing things that we enjoy. Which sucks.

I think work isn't fun mostly because it isn't supposed to be. But why is that? I hate that I don't know anyone who truly LOVES their job. Meaning, I don't know anyone whose passion is their job and the one person I did know who was following her passion is now hating it because it has become work. Which sucks. It's a vicious, sucky cycle.

I guess I just always think about how many hours a day I'm wasting away behind a desk and answering to someone else who couldn't care less about me outside of the four walls of this big office building. I dream about all of the things I would rather be doing -- sleeping, talking to friends, breathing fresh air, taking pictures, reading a good book, watching television, traveling with my husband, eating Cheetos by the pool -- instead of being at work.

I think a lot of people view work as an albatross around their neck and I hate that too. I mean, we're all working to pay bills. The job is a means to an end, I suppose, which is eating and having the big, flashy box spring to life when you hit the power button. I can't help but think that all of the hours we're spending at work are such a waste in the long run. I mean, I spend more hours at work a day than I spend doing things that are fun and that would enrich my life in some way.

I appreciate having a job that allows me to pay my bills, do something to help the world, and to help pay for some of the fun things that I really do enjoy. I just hate that I feel like so many hours of work hardly translates into the few hours I get to actually enjoy myself during the rest of my life. So, work? Can suck it.

4 comments:

Wicked M said...

I really, really wanted to write an entire entry that just said: "Work sucks because it is work. The end". But I refrained. My second choice entry would have been: "I wonder why I can't find a job that allows me to play on MySpace all day and that allows me to come and go as I please. Also, I would like to come in at noon and leave at 1:00 p.m. Further, I require that you allow me to read all of my magazines at my desk and to supply me with endless amounts of chocolate and Cheetos. If you are this job, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thanks, Wicked M."

Instead, you got what is above. You're welcome.

MSO Rin said...

Ha! I just love that we're trash-talking a concept. Take that, work! You blow! Yeah!

super jane said...

rin -- LMAO! "take that, work! you blow!" oh my gosh, i'm doubled over laughing!

i wonder how many times you used 'suck' in your entry?

i wonder how many new hits we'll get on our site now. 'wonder women' and 'suck' should give us quite a bit of action now, don't you think?

Wicked M said...

super j - I honestly thought the same thing as soon as I published the entry. I have no doubt we will up our "creepy hits" number very soon. Lucky us!