Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Wonder Why I...

I wonder why I can't use the snooze button. I've never been able to. I mean, I realize that getting an extra seven minutes of sleep is the greatest thing since sliced bread for some people. I get it. But it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, just set the alarm for seven minutes later and then get up!

Clearly I grew up in a home where the snooze button was not allowed. I don't even think I knew what the snooze button was for until I left for college. One of my roommates LOVED her snooze button and used it at least four times every morning. It was the most annoying thing ever.

I suppose it helps that I'm a morning person. As soon as my alarm goes off, I usually get right out of bed and jump into my day. I realize not everyone greets their day with the same enthusiasm, but I just do not understand the snooze button plan. I mean, I don't really think you are getting quality sleep once you slam that snooze button and flop back onto your pillow. I would just lay awake wondering how long seven minutes can really feel and how much longer until the buzzing buzzer (or radio) starts blaring again. It stresses me out.

I've also discovered that I have another curious behavior when it comes to the morning alarm. If Superman's alarm goes off before mine, I cannot go back to sleep until I am positive he's gotten out of bed. For whatever reason, I can't let myself relax and fall back into dreamland until I know he's gotten out of bed and has started with his day. I mean, the alarm is there for a reason and the reason is to get you up -- not to give you a warning and then let you sleep for another three hours and not to scream at you every seven minutes until you decide to drag yourself out of bed.

The sound of the alarm going off in the morning isn't a sound I relish hearing, but the snooze button and I will never be friends.

**I know people love their snooze buttons. Please do not hate me for my snooze button disdain. It's just never been a part of my routine. Love me. Please.