Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This is a joke, right?

The topic this week must be a joke. Surely it is. Because, um, I DID NOT GET AN ECONOMIC STIMULUS CHECK. Oh wait. I did! It was for $29 and some change. Thanks, W! No, gosh, I am not bitter at all. Yes, Superman and I are very lucky that we make enough money to not qualify for the fortune that others did through this program. However, when you live in a place that is ten times as expensive as anywhere else, that sort of evens out or puts you at a disadvantage -- I'm guessing that did not occur to anyone. (I am looking at you W!) I am also adamantly opposed to the entire economic stimulus plan, so our check is still sitting on our hallway table. I refuse to cash it and spend it and when I have a chance I will go to the bank and deposit it straight into my savings account. Woo! $29 and some change.

So, let us pretend that I am willing to spend this $29 fortune that has been bestowed upon us. What shall I spend it on? I could go to the bookstore and pick up something new to read. I could buy loads of chocolate and stuff myself silly. I could pick up a new scarf or one and a half new t-shirts at Old Navy. I could buy that cute pair of flip flops I saw the other day at the mall. I could take my husband to Men's Wearhouse and help him choose a new tie. I could take him out to dinner to our favorite place (provided we do not order drinks and what fun would that be??). I could buy WonderCat some fancy cat food and spoil him with new catnip toys. I could take a yoga class at this studio I have been dying to try. Oh! I could take up drinking with super jane and g love and I am sure that MSO Rin would love to join us. They can buy the beer and I will buy the margarita fixings. A party sounds just about right.

My economic stimulus check? It is going straight to the bank. All $29 of it.

***To explain a lot of my economic stimulus bitterness, I would like to say that Superman and I owed about a jillion dollars to the federal government and we also owed hundreds to the local government. I love it when my company makes a mistake on my taxes and no one notices until, oops, it is time to pay that tax bill! LOVE that!

2 comments:

super jane said...

i'm beginning to think i really do suck as the monday host.

...talking about our favorite features to a woman who recently gave birth...

...talking about stimulus checks to a woman who ended up on the giving rather than receiving end...

...and for my next trick...

Anonymous said...

my sister's co. f'ed up her taxes last year. luckily they caught it in like oct, so that gave her the opp. to catch up (by taking home a teeny check during the holidays! the time of year when everyone could use an extra deduction!)