Friday, October 5, 2007

I Wonder Why He's So Nice?

This is something that I've been thinking about since the day I met Superman. Honestly, it astounds me and I have no idea where his niceness comes from. From the first moment I met him, he's always been so gosh darn nice. Everyone loves him, everyone fawns over him, everyone gushes over just how nice he is. Quite frankly, it's starting to honk me off. See? I'm not so nice. The thing is that I know just how nice he is and just how nice everyone else thinks he is too. I hear it all the time.

A perfect example of just how nice Superman is can be found from an open house we attended last Friday night. One of his bosses had a rather large group of people over and had a fancy-dancy catered dinner with lots of wine. It was really fun. However, it was also exhausting. Here is why:

Superman and I enter the party and are met by a large group of people who immediately rush over to say hello. They all trample each other to meet the "famous Wicked M" that they are always hearing about (See he's nice. He talks glowingly about me when I'm not around.) and they immediately start in on the questions. Most of the questions were things like, "Is he as nice at home as he is at work?" and "He's just the nicest guy ever. Do you know how lucky you are to have such a nice husband?" and "Oh we just love him! He's so nice! I have no doubt that you are just as nice. Aren't you?". The thing was that they were all so very serious about how nice he is. My usual well-placed sarcasm would not have served me well in this situation.

So I had to gush over him too. Which is typically easy because he is so dang nice and I love to make him blush when I talk about how wonderful and sweet and nice he is. When we left that party, I was exhausted. I mean, how long can one person be expected to live without sarcasm? I slumped down into my seat in the car and the minute that Superman was in the car next to me, I exclaimed, "Oh. My. God. They love you! And you're so nice! And WTF? Could you not be a little bit mean, like, ever?? It's annoying! I mean, you make things so hard for me!"

I know, I know. I'm a doll. And a great wife!

He replied with something sarcastic and I felt vindicated. See? He isn't nice 100% of the time. Only 99.99%. And that .01% of snot, snark, and sarcasm is a beautiful thing.

No comments: