Thursday, May 23, 2013

Not a lot of spice in my kitchen

Oh boy.  I hate to admit it, but I'm really out of my element on this topic.  I cook a nutritious meal for my family {nearly} every night, but the meals I choose are basic and don't have a lot of fanfare.  I keep my dishes easy and use only recipes that require a minimum number of ingredients.  I have been known NOT to make dishes simply because the number of ingredients required exceed my maximum -- which is about 5 or so.

Spaghetti noodles are covered with a pound of ground beef and sauce from the jar.  No added seasonings.

Tacos include a pound of ground beef and a packet of seasoning.

Strips of raw chicken are covered with Bisquick and baked to golden perfection.

Chicken pot pie is created with ready-to-bake pie crusts, chicken, and frozen mixed veggies.

See?  This is the excitement level of my cooking.  Spaghetti, tacos, chicken strips, chicken pot pie.  All of my dishes are surprisingly delicious, but admittedly, they are neither exotic nor complicated.  Heck, I don't even add salt to any recipe that calls for it!

If pressed to select one spice, however, I guess it would be garlic.  (Honestly, does that count as a spice?  I'm not sure that it does now that I type that out.)  And, in keeping things simple around my kitchen, I admit that it's not even fresh garlic.  In fact, I've never in my life purchased a garlic clove.  I watched my friend work a garlic clove once in my kitchen when she was making homemade guacamole.  Sadly, that's the only time my kitchen counter has entertained a garlic clove.  When I do add garlic to a dish, I will sprinkle a little garlic salt or dried garlic from the McCormick's container.

Folks, I'm a boring cook.  An efficient and surprisingly delicious cook, but a boring cook, nonetheless.

1 comment:

MSO Rin said...

That's not boring ... that's ESSENTIAL. And so is anything you can measure out of a McCormick's jar. Holla!