Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Lucky To Be An American

I used to be one of those people who didn't vote. I know, I know. It's an awful thing to admit. As I get older and become more informed (and then more ticked off), I'm more motivated to do something to assert some change. I want to make my voice heard.

I hate the political season with every inch of my being simply because I hate the false rhetoric and macho bravado that the candidates employ. Most of the time I feel like they are more like slimy lawyers saying the same thing two hundred different ways to twist the real message than they are actual politicians saying things to affect real change. Rarely does a politician have a novel idea or platform and I greatly dislike that we so fear change that we actually encourage it. We continue to vote for the "safe" candidate or the candidate most neutral in their stance.

I think, if nothing else, that this current President's term(s) have taught us that the status quo is not always the way to go. The candidate with the most swagger isn't necessarily the best candidate. The candidate that is white and/or male isn't always the best choice. Thank goodness that in this election season we at least have a choice! There are quite a few options available to us and it is up to us to really listen to what the candidates are saying, to what they truly believe in, and what they truly stand for.

I do believe that you can affect change at every level. I may not be as informed about the local elections as I am about the current national election turmoil that is going, but I've done some research and I plan to use my voting power. Because I do care. Because I have a choice. Because I am lucky to be an American.*

Go Vote Today!
*And oh how I love to complain! Right, MSO?

No comments: